What is Contrave?
Contrave is a combination of two different medications: naltrexone hydrochloride and bupropion hydrochloride. Each extended-release tablet contains:
- Eight milligrams of naltrexone, an opioid agonist that is often prescribed for alcohol dependence, opioid dependence, or for smoking cessation treatment
- 90 milligrams of bupropion, an aminoketone antidepressant that is used to treat depression and seasonal affective disorder
Naltrexone-bupropion may be taken with meals. High-fat meals should be avoided, as this increases the amount of medication in the body and can increase the side effects. Swallow the tablets whole and do not cut, crush or chew them.
Qsymia side effects
Common Side Effects of Qsymia
- Abnormal movements or sensations in the legs, arms, fingers, and/or toes
- Dry mouth and blurry vision
- Constipation, nausea, and diarrhea
- Upper respiratory infections including bronchitis
- Tiredness or inability to sleep (insomnia)
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Decreased appetite or unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Throat pain, heartburn, stomach discomfort, or upset stomach
- Muscle pain or back pain
- Hair loss
- Potassium levels that stay low continuously while taking Qsymia
- Depression or anxiety
- Changes or abnormalities in your menstrual cycle
- Racing heart beat
Serious Side Effects of Qsymia
- Kidney stones
- Decreased sweating and increase in body temperature
Who Can Take Contrave?
Contrave is approved to help obese adults with a body mass index (BMI)of 30 or greater or overweight adults with a BMI of 27 or greater who have at least one weight-related condition such as high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, or high blood pressure.
- Have uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Have a seizure disorder, anorexia nervosa, or bulimia
- Are undergoing abrupt withdrawal from alcohol or other drugs (such as benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and antiepileptic medications)
- Are taking other medications that contain bupropion (such as Wellbutrin and Aplenzin)
- Are a chronic opioid user
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are allergic to any of the ingredients of Contrave